Sunday, November 2, 2014

Nov. 2 - Smiles

A smile 

I mean. I'm thankful for lots of smiles.
Everyday.
My kids, my husbands, my family, my friends. 
Everyone I know. 
I'm always grateful to see the people I love smile.

But.  I feel that a smile from a stranger is one to be especially thoughtful of.

Like.
Sometimes I see pictures of myself, that someone has unexpectedly snapped of me, and I don't really love it.
I kind of have witch with a b face.  
When I'm not paying attention.
I blame my Mom.
This picture is from a few years ago.. But.  It captures what I am talking about.
My resting face isn't very nice...
And I can tell sometimes by the way strangers look at me,
especially when I'm deep in thought, that I look like a jerk.
(At the Costco. Will we really eat all of this pasta before it expires? Do people really consume that much Velveeta? Why don't I know what to do with coconut oil? Can spending 40.00 on toilet paper really be a great savings?  What should I buy here in case the zombies come? Am I okay with buying this carters pajama combo and risk everyone else at the baby shower buying it too?.....  Is that guy a stay at home dad?)
The Costco is nothing but B face for this girl.
It's so exasperating there.
Or.
When waiting in line to pick up my call in pizza order....
(What time is it? What time is Ryan going to be home?  Is my house dad getting home ready? What if he beats me there?  He will see the popcorn in our bed!  Breakfast dishes still on the counter! Crap!  I need to pick up Tatum. What is that smell?  Do I have a diaper in the car?  Where am I?  Pizza? What the hell?!  I put a roast in the crock pot this morning!)

So.
My deep in thought face isn't really a mean face.
It's just got a lot going on behind it.
Just like everyone else.

So.
All of this to say.
I am thankful when a stranger takes time outside of their own busy head, busy life, and busy self,
to smile at me.
To go out of their way to offer a simple gesture of humanity, and togetherness.
That we are all in this together.
It reminds me that two dinners, and Velveeta are not important.
And that kindness does not go unnoticed.
 and should always be a priority.

A simple smile from a stranger is something I am grateful for.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive