Sunday, November 10, 2013

Thankful - Nov. 9

An Emotion

I don't know if nostalgia is exactly considered an emotion.
But it should be, bbecause it is ALL of the emotions!

Nostalgia is the best.
Even when it's the worst.

A song, a smell, a sound, a shirt, a building, a landmark, a food, a movie.

The possibilities are endless.

My personal favorites are smells, and music.

Like
Travis Tritt "Anymore"

It takes me right back to my sophomore year in high school, when my ex boyfriend Craig and I left the 3A state basketball tournament to go "talk."
We were a tortured pair.
And of so little consequence now.
But man oh man did I live and die by that kid for a long time.
I mean.
He was a SENIOR!

We had broken up, gotten back together, broken up, gotten back together, and broken up again.
We were irritating.
So.
It had been awhile since we had been "back together"
in large part due to embarrassment of our on again, off again. 

We ditched out of the tourney and went to go "get a coke."
After talking about how we didn't care about what people thought, and that we wanted to try things again..

Hold on a sec..
Wasn't I way to young for such antic?
Wow.

So anyways.
I was so happy.  
I was elated that we were on the same page, and that we were going to be BFGF again!
Yay!

And then.

On the tape player in his old buick.
With red fuzzy interior.
And smelling of dirt, hay, and cologne.
He played me that Travis Tritt song.
He said he had been listening to it for weeks now, and thinking of me.
........."I'm tired of pretending, I don't love you anymore.".....

The use of that comma is unclear when that song is being sung..

It was a little confusing for a wee sophomore as myself.
Did I just get back together and then dumped all in a 5 minute drive?
What was going on here?
I just played it cool, and went home and listened to my moms 
Travis Tritt tape on my peach ghetto blaster with the turquoise "play" button.
I loved that thing.
I listened closely, and got it all figured it.
I was so relieved.

So.
Talk about a nostalgic.
That song carries all kinds of emotions.
Happy.. Cautious..Confused..Bugged..Concerned..Hopeful..And finally Happy again.


Chicago:
Driving around in the mountains of Utah County in the early days of mine and Ryan's courtship.
Windows down. Yellow leaves.  Fishing.
...Happy..

"Feels like home"
The song that I started playing at the beginning of our wedding line.
Tatum walked out, and Ryan started to cry like a big baby. 
Which he assured me WOULD NOT happen, as did his brother Scott.
The sight of him so emotional was unbeatable.
And unforgettable.
I remember the lighting, the temperature, certain faces, and the brick path that I walked down
just by hearing the first 5 seconds of that song.
I love that song.

Taylor Swift's first album
My sweet little 4 year old Tatum starting to have a real interest in music, and listen to
 "picture to burn" on repeat, in her Disney princess room, on her Disney princess CD player.
Also, once I was singing "stay beautiful" to her while washing her hair for her while she was in the shower, and she told me I sing like Ursula.
Haha.

KC and JoJo
"All my life"
 Or something like that..
Stephanie sitting on the nearest lap when that song came on, and singing it while looking into their eyes like she was madly in love with them.
Nobody was safe from that uncomfortable situation.

Nelly Furtado "I'm like a bird"
Cute little 11 year old Miranda singing the opening lyrics to me (You're beautiful, that's for sure)
   in the back seat of my moms Expedition while we were on the way down to St George
 for, um.
My first wedding.

John Melloncamp, "Jack and Diane" and "Hurts so good"
My dad singing it, and playing air guitar on his leg.

Randy Travis
When I was in Kindergarten, 
we lived in Cedar City, and would drive to St George every morning for school and work.
We would listen to Randy Travis the whole way, and every song that came on 
I would ask,  Is this Pat, or Randy?
Pat was my mom's boyfriend who's band played Randy Travis covers.
I though he was famous.

"Seasons of love" 
My Heather Jo's funeral. 
That one is always a rough one. 

Smart Food Popcorn
Reminds me of when I would drive to Emery County to visit my Dad and Delynn and the kids.
I would always buy 2 bags.
One for the road, and one for the kids when I got there.
They loved it, and called it "Cedar City Popcorn."
I love opening a bag, and smelling that poof of air.  It reminds me of those sweet little toe heads, with sweet voices running out to greet me, and gather their bag of popcorn.  
My little brother Jace didn't figure out that it wasn't really just "Cedar City" popcorn until like, last year.
:)
The BeeGees
My steppapa Steven saying
"this is my high school prom theme"
 to every BeeGees song that comes on.
All of them.

80's butt rock.
My uncle mike, but a specific Lake Powell trip that was super fun!

Coconut smells remind me of my friend Lisa
Cherry Almond Jergens - Stephanie
Philosophy, Amazing Grace - My other friend Lisa
Angel perfume of my Aunt Mona
Biolage - my friend Monica. (That's my FAVORITE!)
Cucumber Melon, and Strawberries & Champagne lotion - College
Creamed corn - My friend Tori
Abercrombie Cologne - Ryan's old honda
New Car Smell trees - My (other) HS boyfriends truck
Grease - My dad, and his lunchbox.
Vicks Vapor Rub - My grandpa June

I seriously have to stop.
I could go on for so many days about nostalgia.

The best of all the best emotions!
Hands down!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive