Thursday, November 7, 2013

Thankful - Nov. 6

A memory

This memory..
It was unbeatable.
I had worked dang hard to get here.
I knew Ryan was quality the day I met him.
Neither of us were ready for a serious relationship, and that made us perfect for each other.

Our courtship was romantic, with lots of dates, and
late nights spent talking.
We have lots of fun memories getting to know each other's friends, families, 
and becoming part of each other's lives.
It was a slow process, but such a fun one. 
It couldn't have gone better.
 Ryan wasn't ready to be married, and it was a rare instance that we would even talk about it.
I was patient.  I held my tongue, and the tongue of those around me that tried to ask or pressure us about such details.
I knew he was worth the wait. 
I knew to be patient, and that even if it didn't end the way I wanted it to, that he was worth the risk.
And I was so right.
There were a few other things I did, that I had never bothered to do with anyone else I had ever dated.

1. My bathroom was always clean when he came over.
Puh-lease. I could have cared less before.
2. I was a total lady, with good manners, and fashion.
Which was like, way unnecessary to me prior, and I really couldn't afford it.
Plus.  It often gave me stomach aches if you know what I mean.
3. I immediately stopped putting myself into debt, and started figuring ways out instead.
Ryan made it quickly known that a credit report could be in my future. Yikes!
4. I was coy, and the ULTIMATE game player. 
Let's be honest, I was always a master of the game! ;)
5. I was super cautious about introducing him to Tatum.  
It took about 5 months, and he was the only man I ever dated after Eric that she met.  
That turned out to be super beneficial for both of them.
6. I took his mom a Poinsettia from the Costco the first time I met her.
It was literally bigger than her.
Which made me seem needy, and overzealous.
Obviously a good idea.

So it seems I played my cards okay.
In the end I got the guy.
From the day he finally mentioned marriage, until the day we were married was about 4 months.

My life has been fun, exciting, full, and happy since the day I met him.
To say we haven't had hiccups would be a lie,
but they pale in comparison to the ones I figured everyone had, and expected for my life.

Sometimes I roll my eyes, sometimes he clenches his teeth, sometimes I cry, sometimes we fight.
Because seriously. 
Men are annoying.
And woman are irrational.
That seems like such a rough combo.
But.
We always try to be constructive.
We grow, we learn, and we move on.
We love each other, and we still have fun.
He is my very best friend, and raising a family with him is more than I have ever dreamed.
We're good.
And that feels so good.

So.
Ryan proposing to me has been one of the greatest memories of my life.
It has lead to countless others
And I am so thankful for that.
In my heart,  I never believed people had great marriages.
That is sad to say.

They are few and far between these days.
Hopefully we can be a good example for our kids,
 because the way things are now makes me sad and scared for them..

Marriage for them...
And a zombie apocalypse..

The Walking Dead is on Netflix.
It's nuts!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive