Sunday, December 1, 2013

Thankful - Nov. 19-30

I will finish this!
I am going to right now!
Why oh why do I suck so bad?
I really can't stick to anything.
I remember, when Tate was a little girl, I would give her a multi vitamin every morning with her breakfast.
Pretty simple.
Nothing too impressive.
But I did it every day. 
Every. Single. Day.
There is nothing I do every single day.
Really.  Nothing.

Oh well. 
Probably one day I will stuff and things every day. 

So,
 Here we go.

19.
A warm object I am thankful for
Hm.
The sun?  
I am so thankful for warm weather.  
I hope our state is not in trouble just yet for our lack of snow, but it's been so nice this year to enjoy the outside during all of October and November!  
I cannot remember the last time this happened, but I am thankful for it.
So are my kids.
So is my sanity.

20.
A soft object I am thankful for.
Easy.
Sienna's soft skin.
It is unbelievable how soft it is.
It is perfectly smooth, but squishy in just the right spots.
It can't be described as silk, or satin.
It's almost like something non existent.
Like the perfect consistency of air, or water.
There are no flaws, only perfect folds.
I love it!
And, it smells like magic.
 Baby magic to be exact.
I am especially thankful for her soft skin, because she's kind of a prickly gal that Sienna.
She prefers hitting to hugging
scratching to kissing
and shoving to snuggling.
So.
I'm super happy that the time I do get to love on her, it has the sweet addition of her magical skin.

21.
A wooden object I am thankful for
Goll.
I can't even think of one.
A wooden spoon? No.
Hey.
Did you know that if your wooden spoons are splinting, they can harbor more bacteria than a toilet?
I learned that on Oprah.

Oh I know.
Just wood.
I love fires.
Real wood fires.
They remind me of my great Grandparents house, that my Grandparents now live in.
And fires also remind me of camping.
I like camping?
A real wood fire is one of the most mesmerizing things.
I could just sit and stare into dancing flames for hours.
Does anyone not like that?
I think it's so great.

22.
A dessert I am thankful for.
Duh.
Cadbury eggs

And these unreal chocolate chip cookies.
A recipe by my friend Lisa.
Who has a cookie BUSINESS!
You should take this seriously.
For two reasons.
1. This is a one bowl cookie recipe. no dry and wet ingredients. 
and 
2. BUTTER AND CRISCO?
You know it's a win. 
Clogged arteries usually are. 

2/3 cup softened butter (be sure it is NOT melted) 2/3 cup shortening 1 cup granulated sugar 1 cup brown sugar 2 eggs 1 tsp of vanilla (this is per the recipe but I prefer to do two good dumps of the bottle) 1 tsp salt (I do a heaping tsp) 1 tsp baking soda 2 1/2 cups flour (I usually end up adding about 1/2 cup more to get the consistency right) 2 cups chips (I like milk chocolate, but I also LOVE white chocolate right now. They all work in this recipe.) Cream butter, shortening, sugars, eggs until light, fluffy and the color changes to a light happy color. Add the vanilla and mix a little more. Add salt & soda, mix. Add flour, mix.
Once it is soft, but not sticky, add in your chips of choice, mix & your done!
Bake them at 375° for 9-11 minutes.

23.
A view I am thankful for.
The view that always gives me pause, is in my car.
I love looking in my rear view mirror.
We spend a lot of time taking Tatum and friends to and from cheer.
I love my 3rd row seat full of chatty, giggly girls, 
and
my 2nd row seat full of the cutest baby faces I could have ever hoped for.
It makes me so thankful.
Thankful that I was able to get pregnant, deliver healthy babies, grow healthy, happy kids.
Thankful to afford a car, safe car seats, and one that has AC, and a heater, and brakes that work.
Thankful that Tatum has found her love of cheer, and that she has good friends that she has fun with.
Thankful that I have a drivers license, and that I know how to drive.
Thankful that my babies no longer scream their faces off the entire time we are in the car.
Thankful that if they do cry, I can hand them a piece of food and they will be quite.
The rear view mirror in my car makes me thankful for lots of things.
Thankful. Thankful. Thankful.

24.
A part of nature I am thankful for.
All of it.
I love nature. I love the mountains, trees, bushes, dirt, rivers, lakes, beaches, sand, desserts, animals.
All of it.
But I do not take advantage of it near as much as I wish I did.
I want my kids to enjoy it, and to develop their interests based around the outdoors, and being active.
The problem is this.
I WANT to be a gal that likes hiking, mountain biking, climbing, surfing, skiing, boarding, fishing, or
or even nature walking.
I don't.
I LOVE to sun tan though.
I am so good at it.
So.
A part of nature that I am thankful for is.
Utah Nature.
I am thankful to live in a state that offers almost all of the above mentioned things to my kids, without my involvement!
Ha!
Thankful for rec center programs!

But for reals.
I'm also thankful that nature isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so that one of these days when I get into shape, I may be able to enjoy all of those things with my kiddos.
Because I know they are fun. And healthy, and full of great memories.
I like the thought of all of those.

25.
Something green I'm thankful for.
My husbands eyes.
I love them. And I love him.

26.
Something old I'm thankful for.
My husband.
I love him.

27.
Something new I'm thankful for.
The 4 new crowns in my mouth.
Ive never had one before.
And I am so thankful for mine!
How nice of the dental gods to think of such a lovely name for such a stupid process.
First you have a tooth ache, a shot, a numb mouth, then a root canal,
(Which. by the way! are you not so grateful to be numb for that process?! Do the roots of your teeth connect to your brain?! Because it really seems like it to me! An entire full body apron to avoid the mess?What?! Thank you?! I'm thankful to not know what they are doing in there.)
then a nub of a tooth for awhile,(my personal fav) then, that nasty molding stuff, bad dentist jokes he says every time I'm there... Look doc. I know your not sorry to give me a $76 dollar shot. And I know I really am not your favorite patient. I have hardly even spoken to anyone here. And no. I don't want a sticker.... So anyways. More shots, more numbness, a "temporary crown" (which for all intents and purposes should really be called a brontosaurus tooth.)
Then, more shots, a numb mouth, and finally. your crown.
LLLLLAAAAAAAAA!
times it by 4.
Add in 2500 cavities filled, and wa la.
Thankful.
Actually.
I change my mind.
Something new to my life that I am thankful for.
Nitrous.
That stuff rocks!

28.
A tradition I'm thankful for.
We have already talked about this.
Look.
I didn't make this list.
I'm just following it.

29.
A store I'm thankful for.
Harmons.
I don't know why.
I hardly shop there because it's too expensive.
But I love walking up and down each aisle.
Wishing I knew recipes that included such ingredients, and that I was cool enough to purchase Carr's crackers instead of Chicken in a Biscuit.
I love their produce, meat, guacamole, paper bags, and the post office inside!
But mostly.
I'm thankful for Harmon's because it makes me want to be a better person.
How profound is that?
A grocery store that just might change one's life.

30.
Something from my childhood I'm thankful for.
I think just the vibe as a whole.
I know I wasn't raised in a traditional family.
My parents were divorced at 3.
Even though I didn't see my dad often, his presence was strong, and I totally adored him.
He was and is the best daddy.

My mom had Miranda when I was 8.
She got knocked up.
You know.
It happens to the best of them.
Although it wasn't perfect, we lived in trailer parks at times, and in a brand new house at other times,
I never felt as though I was unhappy or went without.
Our house was happy and calm.
There was no fighting or contention.

Saturday mornings were for cleaning.
And, we had the best Sunday traditions.
The lake allll dddaaayy long in the summer.
With coolers full of snacks, hours of sand castle making, and lounge chairs that fold into huts.
During the fall and winter, we watched football.
My mom would make a mean veggie tray, and sometimes crackers and cheese trays.
The day always ended with a big Sunday dinner.
Even though it was just the 3 of us.

I liked my upbringing.
I got along with my mom, and she was patient with me and Miranda.
I mean. Sometimes she yelled. but not usually.
And when i would say
"mom! don't yell!"
she would respond very loudly with
"THIS IS YELLING!!"
And then I would be thankful that she wasn't, in fact, yelling.

I just think the thing I am most thankful for is that despite some of the circumstances, and "unconventional" way I was raised, I really don't dwell on anything from my childhood.
I don't blame any of my actions now, on my parents actions then.
I was loved, looked over, and cared about.
I'm not a mess.
And I am very thankful for that.

31.
A photo I am thankful for



When my two worlds became one.
This is one of my favorite photos ever.
I didn't let Ryan meet Tatum until I knew he was the one.
And how thankful I am that I turned out to be right.
Just the other night, Ryan and I were talking about how grateful we felt to not have any "what if's"
I know a lot of people live with regret, or wonder if they made mistakes in past relationships, or life decisions.
I really don't have that. Ryan says he doesn't either.
And that feels really good.
I love the life that Ryan and I have created.
Sometimes I seriously want to pull his arm hair out.
One. by. one
Daily, I shake my head or roll my eyes.
But every single second I am thankful for him, and our life together.

I couldn't ask for a single thing more!


And now.

I'm thankful that November is OVER!!

That was too much pressure!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive