Wednesday, March 7, 2012

My baby is 10. T-E-N

Dear Tater Bug,
Can I still call you that?
Tater Bug?
Because I feel like I will need to call you that for the rest of my life in to hold on to you as a baby girl.
It's all I have left...

Thingers are Fingers
Theirchother is Each Other
Coldeze is Cold.
And my heart is broken.

I absolutely cannot believe we have gotten to this point.
There are 2 numbers in your age!  2!
I think that the more teachable part of me being your mommy has passed.
I think that the impressions that I have had the opportunity to make, have been made.
I feel like your will and opinion is as meaningful and valid as mine.
You are not a baby anymore.
And let's be honest.  You are better at math than me.
Sad for us both really.

Who you are as an adult is starting to peek through.
And though I don't feel like I have done enough to shape you into a perfect being
I could not be more proud.

Your sweet baby shyness has left forever.
 In it's place I find a kind, warm, loving, young lady.
You care for the less fortunate, you worry for those that go without.  
In any and all aspects of this crazy little thing called life. 
You really do have genuine concern for those around you.

You are a leader
One who knows what she wants and what to do to get it. 
You are a little loud, a little crazy, and a little bossy.
You are learning the fine lines of leading and demanding.
You are getting much better to differentiate between the two.
Much better.
You are learning to 
Do unto others, as you would have others do unto you.
It is a process I love watching.

You teach me so much. 
(math)
But other than that
You remind me that it's not okay to yell
That sometimes I am wrong.
That listening DOES include your eyes
That making up a dance is just useless unless you have coordinated a costume with it.
That tight clothes ARE NOT OKAY!
That socks are meant to be worn inside out.
That praying is not an option
Neither is an after school snack.
That all  food is of value!!
To milk everything you can for all you can.  :)  
Because, well, why not?
You always teach me about the coolest newest songs.
Remind me when the Emmys/Grammys/Whatevvys are on.
Make sure that JackJack is receiving adequate care.  
And let me know when he IS NOT!
I love you.  
There are not words to properly convey exactly how much
but
I LOVE YOU!

I know we still have a long way to go.
I know.  And I thank God, that this journey is still in progress.
I look forward to each and every day with you.
To every quirk, comeback, or intelligent quip that jumps out of those little lips of yours.
It's always an adventure.  That is for sure.

I love you Tatum Kay.

Thank you for knowing me so well
For knowing which part of the Taylor Swift song "Never Grow Up" made me think of you.
You always, always knowing when something will make me cry.
Your sideways glance is always perfectly timed with the first tear that rolls down my cheek.
Whether it is a commercial, song, show, or situation.
You always know.
My sentimental ness is your favorite thing to poke fun of me about
but secretly, I know, it has a very special place in the front of your heart.
I also know.
You are going to be just like me.

I love you little Baby Teetum.

I hope you had a wonderful 10th (T-E-N-T-H!!) Birthday!


Your little hands wrapped around my finger
And it's so quiet in the world tonight
Your little eyelids flutter 'cause you're dreaming
So I tuck you in, turn on your favorite night light

To you, everything's funny
You got nothing to regret
I'd give all I have, honey
If you could stay like that

Oh, darling, don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up
Just stay this little
Oh, darling, don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up
It could stay this simple

I won't let nobody hurt you
Won't let no one break your heart
No, no one will desert you
Just try to never grow up, never grow up

You're in the car on the way to the movies
And you're mortified your mom's dropping you off
At 14, there's just so much you can't do
And you can't wait to move out someday and call your own shots

But don't make her drop you off around the block
Remember that she's getting older, too
And don't lose the way that you dance around
In your PJs getting ready for school

Oh, darling, don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up
Just stay this little
Oh, darling, don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up
It could stay this simple

No one's ever burned you
Nothing's ever left you scarred
And even though you want to
Just try to never grow up

Take pictures in your mind of your childhood room
Memorize what it sounded like when your dad gets home
Remember the footsteps, remember the words said
And all your little brother's favorite songs

I just realized everything I have
Is someday gonna be gone

So here I am in my new apartment
In a big city, they just dropped me off

So I tuck myself in and turn my night light on

Wish I'd never grown up
I wish I'd never grown up

Oh, I don't wanna grow up, wish I'd never grown up
Could still be little
Oh, I don't wanna grow up, wish I'd never grown up
It could still be simple

Oh, darling, don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up
Just stay this little
Oh, darling, don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up
It could stay this simple

Won't let nobody hurt you
Won't let no one break your heart
And even through to you want to
Please try to never grow up

Don't you ever grow up
(Never grow up)
Just never grow up







4 comments:

  1. Awe Ape... So sweet! I can't believe this! Isn't she supposed to be 3 tears old still..... you are a good Momma and she is sooo pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an awesome and amazing post. It made me even tear up!!! I can not believe she is already 10 yrs. old. Amazing how time flies by so fast. I hope that Tate has a wonderful day today and that she knows that we think the world of her. She is one amazing 10 yrs. old that is for sure you guys are doing amazingly with that little one. :) ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so lucky to be apart of this amazing little girls life and watch her grow. And I hope she is just like her mama cuz you are pretty awesome! And that song at the end just made me cry... I guess I am in the emotional mama club now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so sweet! Im a little late, but I cant believe she is 10! Man they grow up way to fast!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive